April 12, 2006

Babies Change The Scene

I had gone to my boxing coach's house this past weekend to view a pay-per-view match. There were several people there, including two babies. Coach was tending to his son, since his wife had gone out with friends that evening. The youth coach had brought along his wife, and they had their four-month old daughter with them. Both kids are cute. Couldn't help but notice, however, the different dynamic when kids are present. In the past when a group of us would gather to watch boxing matches, it was purely an adult affair. Now there are kids cooing and/or being fussy in the midst of the comments about the technique of the boxers on the television.

Both coaches seem to have adjusted to the new stage in their lives. I know I couldn't handle the disruption to my routine. There was an acquaintance of mine who told me about a friend of hers who had a child late in life. Her and the friend were on their way out the door to attend a party, when the friend realized she had not made any arrangements for the baby to be watched. "She had been so used to doing what she wanted to do," the acquaintance told me. It's no way I could just rearrange my life for that situation. I guess I've really become set in my ways.

1 comment:

ElaineByTheBeach said...

I've been in a lot of situations where it's more appropriate for adults, but young kids are present anyway...it does change the tone of things, and we had to constantly watch our language...not an easy thing when we were watching basketball playoffs! =0