November 29, 2006

Purple Gifts

This holiday season, celebrate your Purpleness (childfree status) by taking charge of how you do the holiday.

Last year, my beloved and I went to the mall on Christmas Eve and strolled slowly hand-in-hand through the frenzied shopping crowd to the jewelery store where we picked out our gifts to each other and wore them out of the store. We had a mid-mall sushi snack and a cocktail at the Rain Forest Cafe (it's not just for kids) and caught the latest Harry Potter movie at matinee prices. As the mall storekeepers were closing their doors, we rode the subway home and prepared a quiet, candle-lit dinner for two.

Except for the kids in our life, nine precious nieces and nephews, my husband and I pretty much have our gift buying wrapped up this year. Instead of buying gifts for each other this year, we are taking a day trip to go skiing with another couple. My plan is to avoid malls like the plague.

I find adults so much easier to buy for. If anyone has ideas for kids between the ages of 7-10 I'd appreciate it. Also, have a few teenagers to consider.

If you are in need of some Purple holiday ideas, here ya go:

Did you know that Purple WomenTM contributors review books on this site? Yep and here is a compilation post of the more than a dozen books in the childfree genre that we reviewed in our first year of publication. May give you some good ideas for yourself or a suspected Purple friend. I've set up a bookstore
with my top picks in the sidebar.

Also, heard from Grandma Purple this week. She has a store with everything purple in it and has given us the gift of a reciprocal link to her site. I think every purple guy and gal should have purple duct tape in their stocking, don't you? No kick-back on this one, just some great purple products by a friend of Purple WomenTM. Could save you a trip to the mall.

Oh, and if you're not afraid of "nipples of mass destruction" and think the body beautiful, check out the calendar my dear friend Sue has been publishing for five years to promote breast health awareness among women (how to care for yourself before a critical diagnosis): Breast of Canada. Sue is Purple too and I met her at the BlogHer Conference '06. She will be featured in the Portraits of Purple Women section of the book I am writing. Apparently
, her calendars are flying out the door, so pony up soon!


Technorati Tag:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

AlphaGirl - Great suggestions all. Thank you for reminding me to think beyond my own family in this "giving" time of year.

I will certainly pick up the phone and ask parents for suggestions for all the younger kids.

For the tweens and teens as you so aptly defined them, gift cards it is...or maybe even a check. I will continue to send them as long as they send me a thank you note telling me what they intend to buy.

My mother-in-law was always so generous at Christmas time. She loved to give her adult kids kitchen gadgets, clothes, and personalized stationary. I may continue the stationary gift to her grandkids as a tribute to her.

Anonymous said...

yep it looks great spending time with loved once

Anonymous said...

Re. celebrating your way! Love that!
Last year I went to Las Vegas for Christmas. This year hubby & I are going to Salzburg to have a white Christmas and go on a horse & sleigh etc. Some years we just have the two of us (neither of us are in our home countries!) and he cooks the meal! Another time I went out with my ex flatmates and we had an amazing meal in a luxurious restaurant. There are SO many options for the childfree re. Christmas in the sense that you don't HAVE to do it how everyone else does cos the KIDS want that! I will go "home" for Christmas for a visit soon but my folks who now have "empty nests" and are fine about it! travel a LOT including over Christmas! And I say good on them!
I did all my Christmas shopping when we were in Egypt this October cos I hate very crowded malls. Maybe I'll do next year's Christmas shopping at the Christmas market in Salzburg!

Laura S. Scott said...

I like the donation idea for kids 7-10. Give them cash on the promise that they find a way to use it to help others. Oprah did a "pay it forward" show where she gave everyone in her audience $1000, a video camera and gave them a week deadline to spend them money helping others and make a video on their efforts. The follow up show aired last week and many of the audience members had involved their children, and the kids loved it!
I've also made donations in my friend's kids honor to The Heifer Project which sends livestock to needy families in developing countries.