April 20, 2006

Short Education

I knew a woman while I attended the first college I went to who was crazy about a boyfriend she had back home. She disappeared from school before the year was out. A couple of years later, I ran into her within a department store. She had a little girl with her, and the boyfriend was no where to be found.

College ended for me that time because I flunked out. Eventually, I went back and finished my degree. I doubt that my friend ever did. She wasn't the only woman I knew during that time that had an unplanned pregnancy interupt her education. I was always told that getting an education and having a child at the same time did not mix. That's not to say that there aren't people who do that and overcome regardless. I have known them as well. However, everyone who postpones education doesn't always make it back to pick up their books again, especially if they have to deal with the needs of a family.

No comments: